New beginnings in your new home. Adventures exploring your new city. Saying goodbyes and getting ready to say hello to your new neighbors. A lot of things happen outside of the boxes and trucks during your move. Planning all of the details can be tedious, but that’s where Wanless-Brothers Moving can help.
Schedule your move sooner rather than later and get a head start planning and preparing even before you set a moving date. Traditionally, summer and the end of each month are the busiest times in the moving industry, so it’s important to schedule your move as soon as you have a solid date to be out of your current home. Be ready to go when the big day arrives and ensure your move goes smoothly by following these helpful tips and hints.
8-12 weeks before you move
- Set up a house hunting trip in your new city.
- Research banks, doctors and schools in your new area through the moving resources on www.bekins.com. Gather all the proper paperwork you need to set up new accounts.
- Moving fee work? Talk to your employer about relocation assistance.
- Host a garage sale or donate items you don’t want to move. Doing so now will give you the most accurate estimate of moving expenses since interstate moves are based on weight and distance.
4-8 weeks before you move
- notify of your move.
- Check with your school about transferring your children’s school records.
- Find out from the Internal Revenue Service or your accountant if your moving expenses are tax deductible.
- Contact your local Bekins agent to schedule your free in-home estimate.
- Make a list of people and companies you need to
- Contact your insurance agent to discuss your insurance needs for your new home.
- Contact your family’s physicians and dentists to transfer medical and dental records.
- Obtain change of address cards from your local post office or online at www.usps.com
3 Weeks before you move
- If we will not be packing some or all of your belongings, begin packing. Start with non-essential items first.
- Compile all personal records.
- Change your address on credit cards and magazine subscriptions.
- Arrange to have your utilities officially disconnected the day AFTER your loading date and connected at your new residence BEFORE your scheduled move-in.
2 weeks before you move
- Plan meals to use up the food in your refrigerator and freezer since these items cannot be moved.
- Cancel all current delivery services, such as food delivery service, newspaper delivery, etc.
- Drain the oil and gasoline from your lawn mower and other power tools if they are to be moved.
- Dispose of all flammables, cleaners, paints, aerosols, ammunition, etc., since these items cannot be moved.
- Transfer all current prescriptions to your new local pharmacy.
- Clear out your safety deposit box and arrange for transportation of these items.
1 week before you move
- Finalize your travel plans to your new home.
- Provide your Bekins agent with contact numbers to ensure you are accessible during your move.
- Confirm pack, load and delivery dates with your local Bekins agent and ask any last minute questions.
- Ensure major appliances that you are moving are cleaned, unplugged and ready to go. Your local Bekins agent can arrange for third-party disconnection services, if necessary.
- Review all paperwork with your Wanless-Brothers Moving & Storage driver.
- Be available to check off inventory of all items being moved.
- Select For All It’s Worth Replacement Value Protection levels with your driver on the Bill of Lading.
- Once the moving truck is loaded, double check that nothing was left behind in closets, basement, attic, cabinets, drawers, etc.
Planning your move will ensure it goes off without a hitch. Wanless-Brothers Moving professional network of agents will be there every step of the way ready to lend a helping hand.